Monday, May 6, 2013

Very Hungry Caterpillar Party DIY Decor

My friend recently had a party for her son's first birthday. The theme was "Very Hungry Caterpillar". It is such a cute idea and yet you cannot find decorations at party stores or dollar stores for this theme. So I offered to help make some decorations to spice up the atmosphere.
 
 
 
This Happy Birthday sign is really easy to make. I used a cricut to cut the circles and letters but you can easily cut them out by hand. I used regular scrapbooking cardstock that I bought at Michaels. I needed 6 sheets of green and 1 sheet of red. Each sheet made 4 circles.
I bought a pack of brads at Michaels for $1.99 to hold each of the circles together.
Next you can stencil and cut by hand the letters, or if you have a Cricut you can use that to cut out letters. I liked having the white behind the black on the letters because it stands out more. The caterpillar face you use:
brown paper for long ovals for the ears and a small circle for the nose
yellow paper for ovals for the eyes
green paper for the pupil of the eye.
I loved using brads for this because you can easily put the banner up where you want and give it that little wave like a caterpillar moving.



 
This cake was made by someone else. It was one tier of chocolate and the other banana. All of the cutouts, minus the candle, are made out of fondant.


 
Instead of making one cake for the birthday boy Mom made a series of cupcakes. Great for this theme!


 
Birthday boy eating his cake. The banner around the highchair was made with glitter paper from the scrapbook section. I used the Cricut to cut them out but of course you can hand cut these. I didn't want there to be too much red  and I was tired of circles so the stars were just a little different. I used left over brads from the banner to put the brads on ribbon which is easily taped onto the highchair. Mini spools of ribbon that only cost .99 at Michaels are perfect for this. 
 
 
 
I made this crochet hat for James (which of course he didn't want to keep on, most 1 year olds don't). But I did get some good pictures of him. If you would like this pattern I will gladly write it down and post it for free. 

1.
Pin It

1 comment: